Yesterday (12/6) was AJ’s birthday. He turned 7 yrs. old. Before his birthday we gave him several options on what he wanted to do with his birthday and he decided that he wanted to go with the Scouts and watch Ice Hockey. It sounds like a strange choice since our family doesn’t really know anything about hockey. I (John) had never even been to a hockey game, but that is what all the other Scouts were doing so that is what AJ wanted to do so we went.
Tickets were not that bad, we paid $22 per person and we were in the lower section. The game was the Ontario Reign vs. the Colorado Eagles. They are both minor league hockey teams. Talking to Denise she told me that according to the standings the Colorado Eagles had a slightly better standing. Charged I guess with the hometown advantage the Ontario Reign won the game with a 5-3 score.
Going to a hockey game was an interesting experience. Since there are no “out of bound” areas the game was really fast. I (John) have been on ice skates before and it amazed me how fast those players could get to the other side of the field and then stop and turn so fast. With all the ice they shaved it wasn’t surprising that they had to run the Zambonis after every period. It was also very interesting how violent the game was. I know hockey is Canada’s national sport. I also know that Canada is a relatively peaceful country. They must vent all their aggression playing hockey. There were several fights during the game. It was kind of hard to explain to AJ why the crowd kept on egging on the fights. I had to explain that just because a crowd of 10,000 people are telling you to fight doesn’t make it a good idea. I also pointed out the penalty boxes on the other side of the field and how the players often ended up there.
There were a lot of different forms of entertainment besides the hockey games. At every time out there was a little contest. AJ was really excited to see himself on the jumbotron as part of the “Banjo Cam.” After the first goal the audience threw out stuffed toys for the Toys for Tots program. We even won a free taco in one of the contests.
(Click on pictures to expand)
Overall I think it was a good birthday for AJ. He was pretty tired when he got home. As an added bonus I will end with a birthday interview Denise and AJ did:
This year’s Birthday Interview with AJ, on his 7th birthday.
1. What is your favorite color? Grey
2. What is your favorite toy? Lego A-Wing (The newest toy)
3. What is your favorite fruit? Apple
4. What is your favorite tv show or movie? The Lego Movie
5. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? Black Beans (That required lots of contemplation, he has expressed no preference for them at home–it’s very curious to me.)
6. What is your favorite game? Angry Birds Transformers (a phone app)
7. What is your favorite snack? Chocolate
8. What is your favorite animal? Cheetah & the Pronghorned Antelope
9. What is your favorite song? Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer
10. What is your favorite book? Baby Brains (The book we most recently checked out of the library)
11. Who is your best friend? Marley
12. What is your favorite cereal? Coco Crisps
13. What is your favorite thing to do outside? Scooter
14. What is your favorite drink? Chocolate Milk
15. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas
16. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? a little black dog named “Black Ruff Ruffman”
17. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? Coco Crisps
18. What do you want to be when you grow up? Scientist
19. Imagine that you can become invisible whenever you wanted to. What are some of the things you would do? Sneak away from my momma.
20. I am very proud because… I am seven.
21. If I were President I would… I don’t know?
22. I am afraid to …rock climb
23. Name one thing you do really well? Math
24. Describe what it means to be a good friend. I’m going to help and be a good kid.
25. What is your favorite time of day? Lunch
26. Describe your best day ever? I don’t have a best day… (I asked if this is because everyday is hard, or every day is good. He said it was because everyday is good.)
27. Climbing trees is… cool
28. I wish there were a law that said….. everybody has to be nice to each other.
29. What makes you feel sad? someone that’s not being my friend
30. What makes you feel happy? someone that’s being my friend
31. Pretend that you can fly whenever you wanted. Where would you go? everywhere
32. If I could choose a different name, I would choose…Upside Down Blaster
33. Where do you want to go on vacation? “this is a tough one… to Belize”
34. What is your favorite thing to do with Mom or Dad? have fun!!