The first British “colonists” to Belize were not really much into religion but by the late 18th century trade had taken on a more legitimate form in Belize and with it religion soon sprouted. St John’s Cathedral was finished in 1812 after many years of hard work. It was built primarily by slaves with bricks from Europe that were brought as ballast for large sailing ships. Inside the pews and doors are made with mahogany and many decorative altars made out of sapodilla wood.
Outside the cathedral is the Yarborough cemetery which was named after an affluent citizen who donated his property for the site. It is the oldest (modern) cemetery in Belize with graves dating back to 1798.
Today the cathedral is still active with an active Anglican Parrish. When we were there they were preparing for a funeral service. The day was sprinkling (there is lots of water in Belize), but we still had a fun time walking the grounds and looking at the intricate woodwork. In 2009, the cathedral and cemetery were set aside by the government as a archeological and historic site.